The summer transfer window for Europe’s major leagues has closed. However, focusing on January, there are a lot of rumors swirling around who is moving where. Transfer Talk brings you the latest news on rumors, comings and goings, and of course, completed deals!
Important story: Barcelona returns to Bernardo
Portugal international Rob Dawson told ESPN last month that his future with the Premier League champions was uncertain amid interest from Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain, but he ended up staying at the Etihad Stadium on deadline day.
“The truth is that there were no offers from Spain, so I will stay in Manchester happy,” Silva said shortly before the transfer window closed. “That’s it, it’s my choice.”
However, Sport newspaper reported that Barcelona would have made a coordinated bid to sign the 28-year-old in the summer had it not been for the difficulties they faced in scoring other new signings due to their financial constraints, and the Spanish giant is planning to renew. their efforts to bring him to the Camp Nou as soon as they can.
Silva has been at the Etihad Stadium since 2017 and is under contract until 2025.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS and more (US)
11.16 GMT: Rodrigo And the Eder Militao set to follow Vinicius Jr Upon receipt of Spanish passports as early as 2023, sources told ESPN Alex Kirkland and Rodrigo Faez, opening up the possibility of Real Madrid moving to sign more high-profile talents from Brazil and other non-European countries.
La Liga clubs are allowed to include three players from countries outside the European Union in their first team teams. In the case of Madrid, those positions were occupied by Vinicius, Rodrygo and Militao. Madrid confirmed earlier this week that Vinicius, 22, had taken Spanish citizenship, having begun the process – which has been delayed by the pandemic – in 2020. Sources told ESPN that Rodrygo and Militao are set to receive their citizenship early next year. . Which means the club can now target non-European players to improve its first-team squad in the January window and again next summer.
Real Madrid were contacted about the possibility of signing Gabriel Jesus before he joined Arsenal, sources told ESPN, but the idea was rejected because his Brazilian passport made such a deal impossible at the time.
In February, ESPN reported that Madrid was following the development of the Palmeiras Wonderkid indrik16, although for him the move will have to wait until he turns 18 in 2024.
Real Madrid chose not to strengthen their offensive line this season, relying on the form and fitness of Karim Benzema, 34, and allowing the unwanted Luka Jovic to join Fiorentina. Benzema was injured this week during the Champions League win over Celtic and is now set to spend a month on the sidelines recovering.
Rise of the Machines: Real Madrid uses jumping robots to perfect their free kicks
10.35 GMT: Jordi Alba He says he remains 100% committed to Barcelona despite losing his place in the team and linking him with a move to Inter Milan.
Alba has been on the bench in Barcelona’s last three La Liga games, aged 18 Alejandro Balde chose in front of him. Barcelona also signed Marcos Alonso From Chelsea, who will add more competition for the left-back position.
“It’s not about whether it seems fair or not, the situation is what it is,” Alba told reporters At an adidas event on Thursday when asked if he was upset about Barcelona’s negotiations with Inter.
“Everyone acts as they see fit. I am a person who likes to be said as he is, I am with everyone. Not everyone likes it, but that’s what I am. I can’t say anything else. Nothing surprises me anymore in football with what I’ve seen .
“My thoughts have always been to stay at Barcelona. I feel I can stay here for the rest of my contract [until 2024]. I am 100% committed.
“I’ve been at the club for years and there were moments when I didn’t play, but I always try to give my best. At the moment, I don’t get [as many] minutes, but I’m trying to help the team in any way I can.”
09.47 GMT: Chelsea are aiming to appoint a sporting director ahead of the World Cup in November, and new coach Graham Potter will be involved in the selection process, sources told ESPN’s James Ole.
Blues owners Todd Bohley and Baghdad Eghbali have met several potential candidates and are keen to make an announcement before the domestic mid-season break to allow the time of their new appointment to influence January transfer planning.
Sources told ESPN that former Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards told the club last month that he did not wish to be considered for the role, although it was unclear how he would react to a new approach.
Former coach Thomas Tuchel, who was sacked on Wednesday, had previously expressed his relief at not having sought his advice on the position, but in what marks a shift in philosophy for the new owners, Potter’s opinion will be taken into account before a final decision is made.
Potter was confirmed on a five-year contract on Thursday afternoon, and sources told ESPN his style of play and ability to improve players through training are cited as key reasons for choosing the 47-year-old.
Buhli appointed himself as interim sporting director after chief negotiator, club director Marina Granovskaya and technical and performance advisor Petr Cech, both of whom left after Roman Abramovich was sold to the club at the end of May.
Alongside Ighbali with input from Tuchel, Bohle oversaw Chelsea’s record spending in a single transfer window, pledging more than £250m to nine new players including Pierre-Emerick AubameyangAnd the Mark Cucurella And the Kalidou Coulibaly.
08.52 GMT: Galatasaray announces the signing of the former Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata Thursday with a one-year deal, with the option to extend for another year.
Mata, 34, moved to United from Chelsea in January 2014 and made 285 appearances, winning the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League during an eight-year period. A skilled playmaker, he managed to score 51 goals and 47 assists with United.
The Turkish side also announced that it had included the Argentine striker Mauro Icardi From Paris Saint-Germain on loan for the 2022-2023 season.
Galatasaray also signed a Uruguayan midfielder Lucas Torreira Last month, he signed a four-year contract with Arsenal.
Galatasaray (@GalatasaraySK) September 8, 2022
08.00 GMT: Former Chelsea and Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa He passed a medical before his proposed move to Wolves, according to times.
Costa, 33,’s initial application for a UK work permit was denied on Tuesday, but was denied on appeal. He has since arrived in England to complete his move under a one-year contract.
Wolves lost to the attackers after Sasa Calajdic, who joined in the summer, injured a knee ligament during his debut on Saturday, while Raul Jimenez missed his first two games of the season with a knee injury.
The Spanish international has been without a club since leaving Atletico Mineiro in January after five months at the club, during which he scored four goals in 15 games and won the Brazilian League title.
Costa previously helped Atlético Madrid to the La Liga title in 2014 before embarking on a successful three-year spell with Chelsea, where he scored 59 goals in 120 appearances in all competitions and won two Premier League titles in 2015 and 2017, as well as the league. Cup in 2015. He left to return to Atlético in 2017 and helped the club to another La Liga title in 2021, but left to return to his native Brazil last summer and join Atletico Mineiro.
Paper Chat (by Abby Ingham)
Ex-Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius He signed a short-term contract with Newcastle United, according to Fabrizio Romano. The 29-year-old German has not played for Liverpool since 2018, and has had loan spells at Union Berlin and Besiktas since then.
– Leicester City banned Caglar SoyuncuBack to Turkey, reports football inside. Besiktas and Galatasaray were both eyeing to sign the 26-year-old defender before the end of the Turkish transfer window, but after the player’s departure. Wesley Fofana As for Chelsea, Fox boss Brendan Rogers wants to keep Soyunko on the struggling side.
– Hatem Ben Arfa They can be forced into retirement, according to mediafoot. The 35-year-old is still without a club, having left Lille this summer. Ligue 1 was the French club’s fifth international in five years, and its 10th move in his career. It is reported that the salary demands of the former Paris Saint-Germain star left him with viable options.
After a painful 4-0 defeat to Udinese at the weekend, Roma coach Jose Mourinho is looking for a central defender in the free agent market. according to Rudy Gallettiamong the considerations Jason DenayerAnd the Dan Axel Zagado And the Nikola Maksimovicbut the Gelorossi You may have to wait until the January transfer window to find a suitable addition to the central defence.
– Agustin Rossi He is set to leave Boca Juniors after rejecting the last contract offer, which would have kept the goalkeeper at La Bombonera until December 2026. Cesar Louis Merlot It was reported that after negotiations failed, the 27-year-old goalkeeper will not sign a new agreement with the Argentine side. With his contract expiring in 2023, the Argentina international will likely leave Buenos Aires in the next transfer window, or leave on a free transfer in June.