FEMA says many Florida residents are now eligible for transitional shelter assistance after Ian

Fort Myers Beach, Florida. — The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Friday that residents of 19 Florida counties have been hit hard Hurricane Ian Eligibility for the now activated Transitional Accommodation Assistance (TSA) program.

FEMA’s program includes payment for room, taxes, and non-refundable pet fees to participating hotels and motels in order to help survivors shelter in such places if they cannot return home and if their housing needs cannot be met by insurance, shelters or rental assistance from FEMA or any other federal, state, or nonprofit agency, According to FEMA.

[TRENDING: Orange County offers financial aid for struggling renters. Here’s who qualifies this time | Osceola County considers seizing senior community after flood from Ian | Become a News 6 Insider]

The program applies to those who live in Charlotte, Collier, Desoto, Flagler, Hardy, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lake, Lee, Manatee, Orange, Osceola, Pinellas, Polk, Putnam, Sarasota, Seminole, St. John’s and Volusia.

Those who have Apply for individual assistance They will be notified with either a phone call, text message or email based on what they chose as their preferred method of communication during the application process, the site reads.

The agency states that one can apply for assistance by visiting Carlassistance.govby calling the Federal Disaster Assistance Helpline at 800-621-3362 from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. each day, or using FEMA mobile app.

On Saturday in Fort Myers Beach, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis spoke at a news conference with guests such as FPL CEO Eric Silaghi, Florida Department of Emergency Management Director Kevin Guthrie and others to give feedback on ongoing recovery efforts in South Florida.

DeSantis said the first Pine Islanders to return home did so earlier that morning.

“I know there are some people who are going to get really serious damage, and some are going to have a complete loss, and some people are going to be doing damage that they want to live in their house for, and if it’s safe, you know, they obviously have a right to do that, they have a right to be They are where they want to be, so getting people home in these areas is really important, and as of 7 a.m. this morning the first group of residents are back on the island. More will come throughout the day, but this is their home and we want to make sure they’re here,” DeSantis said.

Due to the damage and lack of resources in the area, DeSantis said, the state has allowed portable latrines, hand-washing stations, shower trailers and other temporary facilities to be deployed on Pine Island soon.

Guthrie spoke of progress in other parts of the state.

“Today, we have processed more than 5,000 task requests and continue to fulfill those requests as they come in. This includes tasks such as clearing rubble, working to help Southwest Florida residents clean up and rebuild,” Guthrie said. “…initial wreck capture completed on 22,840 miles of state road. We have 12 open fuel depots, including three in Lee County. We deployed fuel to Pine Island via the Pine Island Bridge which was completed at record speed thanks to Jared ( Purdue) and his personnel at (F) DOT”.

Silaghi said FPL has since restored power to nearly all of its customers across Florida as of Saturday.

“After completing nearly a million construction worker man-hours, I am happy to tell you that FPL has essentially restored power to all of our customers, restored 99.8% and crews are still in the field today restoring those who can safely get their power on. Unfortunately, as the governor said, unfortunately Fortunately, many buildings have been seriously damaged. Some of these require inspections. “We have crews on standby, and as soon as your building, your house, your business have been inspected and you can take power safely, we will turn the lights back on those,” Silaji said.

When a reporter asked him what the reaction to storm damage should be from “snowbirds” — a slang for Florida residents who move here from colder parts of the United States, usually later in life — DeSantis recommended those with property In the state that they come down check it out.

“Some people may have had damage in their homes, you know, these people obviously want to go down and fix that. We encourage you to do that. We encourage you to go back to your home, find out the damage, and do what ever gets repaired. As You know, the first couple of days we’d say “Hey, you know, you might not want to jam 75 descents from the Midwest to come to your places here because we were in great need of power, search and rescue and all these things,” DeSantis said. “Well, now we are at the point where the power has been restored except for a small part of the LCEC (Lee County Electric Cooperative) and then the main areas, and the search and rescue has been going on for over a week now, what, maybe nine or ten days, so it’s totally appropriate for them to come back and have a look. their property and make any changes.”

Watch the press conference in the media player below:

The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Saturday that it has agreed to give $150 million to 101,705 families in Florida to help residents recover from the hurricane.

The agency reported that Florida policyholders filed 31,000 claims with the National Flood Insurance Program, paying $10 million in down payments. On the business front, FEMA said the US Small Business Administration as of Saturday approved $3.5 million as it continues to process disaster loan applications.


Get today’s headlines in minutes with Your Florida daily newspaper:

Copyright 2022 by WKMG ClickOrlando – All rights reserved.

Leave a Comment