Thansi Kokkinakis confirmed that he and Nick Kyrgios will defend his Australian Open doubles title. The ‘Special Ks’ won the title last year in extraordinary spectacle, taking home the The first Grand Slam doubles titles.
Australian stars captivated the tennis world with their scintillating runs, which saw fans flock to watch their matches at Melbourne Park and create a rowdy and sometimes controversial atmosphere. And they will do it again in 2023 after Kokkinakis confirmed Sunday night that the special forces have reunited again.
‘it is not fair’: Rafael Nadal moved through the drama of Australian tennis
‘Not the bag, not the case’: Rafa Nadal worried about the reporter’s question after the loss
“We’re going to play the Australian Open – doubles is less taxing on the body and it’s easier mentally as well,” Kokkinakis told reporters in Adelaide. “Obviously singles are our priority but I think it would be rude not to go out there and enjoy it.”
Kyrgios and Kokkinakis also won the doubles title at the Atlanta Open in August, defeating compatriots John Pearce and Jason Kubler in the final. their stellar year I saw them qualify for the ATP FinalsWhere they lost to Mate Pavić and Nikola Mektic in the group stage.
Meanwhile, Kokkinakis is set to play both editions of his home event at the Adelaide International, which kicked off on Sunday. After the first tournament, he will also defend his first ATP singles title in the second tournament next week (both in Adelaide).
Kyrgios is also set to play in Week 2, but his participation has been under a cloud after him Withdrew from the Australian United Cup team With an ankle injury last week. Kokkinakis said he wasn’t sure if his fine mate would progress in Adelaide, but he was confident Kyrgios would be fit to play doubles at the Australian Open.
Thanasi Kokkinakis joins a star-studded field in Adelaide
Kokkinakis won the Adelaide (Week 2) title last year after defeating France’s Arthur Renderknish in an epic final. He was pushed to three sets in three of his victories leading up to it.
His first ATP title came after he also reached the semi-finals at the 1st Adelaide Championships and was beaten by eventual champion Gael Monfils. On Sunday, the Australian star admitted his heavy workload took its toll once he arrived at Melbourne Park, but said he had no regrets.
“I felt like I had run a marathon in almost every game in the second week,” said the 26-year-old. “It was very full when it came to the Australian dollar, but I wouldn’t change it any other way.
“It was both a blessing and a curse – obviously my greatest week on the Tour and an incredible moment. Even though I lost and was overcooked for AO, I still didn’t turn it around.”
Full of talent, Kokkinakis has been given a wildcard into this week’s Adelaide draw. Novak Djokovic is playing in Adelaide for the first time in Australia since his deportation last January ahead of the Australian Open. He will face 21-time Grand Slam champion Constant Lestienne in the opening round in Adelaide.
Fellow former world number Daniil Medvedev, now number seven, meets Italy’s Lorenzo Sonego. Canadian world number 6 Felix Auger-Aliassime is the second seed and will face a qualifying match.
Kokkinakis will play with American Maxim Cressi, ranked 34 in the world, while Jordan Thompson will face France’s Quentin Hales, and the other Australian, Chris O’Connell, will meet Serbian Miomir Kecmanovic.
click here To sign up for our newsletter to get the latest breaking news from Australia and around the world.