Roger Federer news leaves tennis fans in awe

Roger Federer, pictured here at Wimbledon in July.

Roger Federer waves to the fans at Wimbledon in July. (Photo by Shi Tang/Getty Images)

Roger Federer is said to be in great doubt over the Laver Cup later this month It’s supposed to be his comeback to tennis After more than a year on the sidelines.

The 41-year-old has not played since losing in the fourth round at Wimbledon in 2021 after undergoing his third knee surgery.

‘Annoying’: Nick Kyrgios criticized for post-match behavior at the US Open

distorted his hearing: Tennis fans react to Novak Djokovic’s sad news

He was a 20-time Grand Slam champion Slowly working his way back to full fitness He is supposed to return to the Laver Cup on September 23 – as a team Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray In the European team.

But reports from Switzerland said Federer is unlikely to play due to fluid in his knee and inflammation.

According to the Swiss publication Tag’s AnzeigerFederer may have to play a lighter schedule than the Laver Cup or skip the event altogether.

If he does play, he will be required to play at least one singles match and one doubles match, according to the event rules.

Should Federer have to miss the event, it would be a huge blow to the organisers, with fans snapping up tickets at sky-high prices due to the prospect of seeing the Swiss legend play alongside top rivals Nadal, Djokovic and Murray.

The Laver Cup was promoted as the first time all four members of the “Big 4” played together on the same team, but there are also Doubts about Nadal’s participation.

Speaking after losing in the fourth round At the US Open, the Spaniard said he was not sure when he would return to court.

Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal, pictured here at the Laver Cup in 2019.

Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal at the Laver Cup in 2019 (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images for the Laver Cup)

With wife Xisca expecting her first child within weeks and currently in hospital in Spain, Nadal said he needed to put his personal life first.

“Now I have to go home, I have more important things than tennis to bring,” he said.

“You will make decisions based on how everything goes in my personal life, which comes before my professional life.

“It’s been a bit difficult for a few months but I want to end the year with something very important which is my first baby.

“I need to come back. I need to fix things. I don’t know when I’ll be back.

“I’ll try to be mentally ready. When I feel like I’ll be ready to compete again, I’ll be there.”

Tennis fans have been left devastated by reports that Federer may have to miss the Laver Cup.

Roger Federer is set to return to Basel in October

Federer had a fan frenzy last month when he posted footage of himself on the training pitch before his return.

The Swiss legend was reportedly training with former professional player Ivo Hoenberger.

He committed to playing at the ATP event in Basel in October in what could be his return to the field if he is unable to play the Laver Cup.

Reports were swirling that Federer was about to announce his retirement, but the 41-year-old hinted at Wimbledon in July that he wanted to play the Grand Slam on grass one last time.

“It’s great to be here with all the other champions,” Federer said during a celebration marking the centenary of Wimbledon Central.

“This court has given me my biggest victories and my biggest losses. I hope to be back again.”

“I missed it here. I knew getting out of here last year, it was going to be a tough year to come. I probably didn’t think it would take this long to get back – my knees were stiff.”

click here Sign up for our newsletter for the latest breaking news from Australia and around the world.

Leave a Comment